Sunday, November 11, 2012

My MRI Experience

Yesterday I was finally able to complete my requested MRI.  This is due to my lower back pain which I complained to a chiropractor, but because of his relatively expensive (but very helpful) treatment, I really have to look for cheaper yet as effective alternative.  So no choice but to randomly choose an Orthopedic from Maxicare's roster.

The MRI schedule requested me to be in the laboratory 30 minutes early. Mom and Busy Boy went with me for support. As soon as I was under, they'd have some lola-apo bonding on the works.  My schedule was 10-11am and the procedure was supposed to be 45 minutes long.

First up, I was interviewed by a resident as to why I wanted/needed an MRI, an explanation of what the procedure does, some does and don'ts and then a blood pressure check which I had to repeat because it was pretty high.  Blame it on the nerves.

Then, it was on to the machine where I had to don a hospital gown.  The lady radiologist was nice enough to let me leave my shirt on since you can be cold and as much as possible, DO NOT move. I was given a headphone like gadget to keep the noise down, pillow, a blanket over me and pillow under my knees so as not to strain my back some more.

And I was off.. inch by inch I slipped inside that big dome.  I thought I'd be claustrophobic, hence the nerves, but there was about an arms span distance from my face to the 'roof'.  So that's ok. Now what to do for the next 45 minutes?  I couldn't sleep since I might jerk awake.. so I kept thinking of random things.. like channel surfing in my head.  I tried to make a tune out of the hammering sounds I heard or the last episode of any show, and even blog posts. I wiggled my toes and fingers often so I won't be really stiff all over.   Before you know it, I was done.  Ms. Radiologist just had to check if my negative was blurred or not which took another 15 minutes.  And finally, I was out.

Ms. Radiologist was very kind and seemed concerned enough to ask how I was after.  The hard, cold surface can be pretty tough on the back but its a minute sacrifice.  I get my results in 2 days  and I'm hoping it won't be as bad.  I'm really thankful Dad's coverage was up to it.  I learned it was a whopping P9,000, more if they have to remove it.

It was a relief to see my son and mom waiting for me in the lobby.  I treated them to a Starbucks drink (for a sticker) and a black pepper spam sandwich.. and we're back home to Dad.

Now we wait.. wish me luck!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails